2022 World Teachers Day: The transformation of education begins with teachers
|When:||Wednesday, October 5, 2022 - 09:00 - Friday, October 7, 2022 - 15:30|
World Teachers’ Day is held annually on 5 October to celebrate all teachers around the globe. It commemorates the anniversary of the adoption of the 1966 ILO/UNESCO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers, which sets benchmarks regarding the rights and responsibilities of teachers, and standards for their initial preparation and further education, recruitment, employment, and teaching and learning conditions. The Recommendation concerning the Status of Higher-Education Teaching Personnel was adopted in 1997 to complement the 1966 Recommendation by covering teaching personnel in higher education. World Teachers’ Day has been celebrated since 1994.
In 2022, the celebrations of World Teachers’ Day will focus on the theme "The transformation of education begins with teachers".
The official celebration event will be opened by Ms Stefania Giannini, UNESCO’s Assistant Director-General for Education, followed by statements from the representatives of the Co-Convening Partners: the International Labour Organization (ILO), UNICEF, and Education International (EI).
World Teachers' Day 2022 at UNESCO Headquarters will include the awarding ceremony of the UNESCO-Hamdan Prize for Teacher Development as well as a series of other in-person and on-line events.
Interpretation will be available.
Calendar of events - Paris time (GMT+2)
- 5 October, 10:00-11:30 - Opening of 2022 commemorations of World Teachers’ Day.
- 5 October, 11:30-12.30 - Award ceremony for the 2022 UNESCO-Hamdan Prize for Teacher Development.
- 5 October, 12.45 - Opening of the UNESCO-Hamdan Prize exhibition on teacher innovation.
- 5 October, 16:00-17:30- Hybrid panel discussion on teacher innovation with the laureates of the 7th Edition of the UNESCO-Hamdan Prize for Teacher Development. More information - Register
- 5 October, 18:00-20:00 - Premiere screening of the film Être prof (French synopsis).
- 6 October, 10:00-11:30 - Online panel: “The transformation of education begins with teachers: a lifelong learning journey”. More information - Register
- 6 October, 14:00-15:30 - Online panel: “The transformation of teacher education in the digital turn: UNESCO’s Global Teacher Campus”. More information - Register
- 7 October, 10:00-11:30 - Online panel: “The role of teachers in greening education: initiatives for sustainable development”. More information - Register
- 7 October, 14:00-15:30 - Online panel: “25th Anniversary of UNESCO’s Recommendation concerning the status of higher education teaching personnel”. More information - Register