Thematic Groups were created to build on the TTF members’ expertise, and support efforts to improve the status of teachers and, quality of teaching and learning. By sharing knowledge and advancing technical work on particular themes, collaboration around various national, regional and international activities is enhanced.
As of March 2021, the TTF has five Thematic Groups, working under the coordination of the following TTF members:
- ECCE Teachers and Facilitators led by VVOB – education for development and UNESCO.
- Inclusion and Equity in Teacher Policies and Practices led by International Council on Education for Teaching (ICET) and Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO).
- ICT and Distance Education for Teacher Development led by The Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) and UNESCO IITE – UNESCO Institute for Information Technologies in Education.
- School Leadership led by Global School Leaders and Varkey Foundation.
- Supporting STEM Teachers led by the Inter-American Teacher Education Network (OAS/ITEN).
More details about each group are below:
- Inclusion and Equity in Teacher Policies and Practices: Draws attention to topics related to the development, implementation, and assessment of policies and practices promoting inclusion and equity for teachers across educational contexts using an intersectional lens that takes into account gender, socio-economic status, location, ability and other relevant variables.
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Distance Education for Teacher Development: Focuses efforts to support teachers acquire ICT skills; the use of ICT in the classroom to enhance educational quality and delivery; and in the use of distance education formats to strengthen pre-service, in-service and continuing professional development.
- Teacher Management in Crisis and Emergency Situations: Discusses issues related to resourcing, training, and supporting teacher workforces in crisis and emergency situations including war, migration, natural and other disaster type contexts.
- Early Childhood Care and Education Teachers and Facilitators: Advocates on issues related to early child educators and pre-primary teachers including the establishment of legal, institutional and policy frameworks to ensure that quality early childhood education (ECE) is free and accessible to all children by qualified, well-trained and supported teachers.
- School Leadership: by bringing together a strong network of school principals and experts, the group focuses on understanding their main challenges related to leadership and promoting innovative solutions and opportunities, while empowering school leaders to become effective change agents. The group aims to reinforce educators’ voice within the academic and policy community as well as other interested stakeholders.
- Supporting STEM Teachers: supports a global initiative focused on the special disciplinary needs of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) teachers and those of related fields, including, but not limited to technical vocational education, computer/digital literacy, as well as other disciplines that make use of STEM content and processes.