International advocacy campaign calls for increased funding for teachers
The time to invest in teachers is now - to ensure sustainable recovery from the crisis and prepare today’s learners for tomorrow.
The International Task Force on Teachers for Education 2030 is calling on governments and the donor community to urgently increase their funding of teachers and teaching. Such an increase is crucial to help education systems recover from the crisis and build their resilience. It is also critically needed to reach the Sustainable Development Goals, especially the global education goal and its targets.
During the COVID-19 crisis, teachers have been on the front line in ensuring that learning continues and that education systems, as they re-open, are resilient to future shocks and are preparing today’s learners for tomorrow’s challenges. The crisis has brought to light the irreplaceable role played by the unique bond between teachers and their students. It has also underlined the importance of a conducive school environment that supports children’s holistic development: not only academic learning but also socio-emotional support and well-being.
The Teacher Task Force campaign aims to secure the international community’s commitment to substantially increase the supply of qualified teachers by 2030 through international cooperation for teacher training in developing countries, especially least developed countries and small island developing states.
In particular, it will call for greater funding to:
- maintain salaries and enhance working conditions to attract quality candidates
- improve teachers’ continuing professional development
- ensure health and safety and provide psychosocial support for teachers and pupils.
How to support the call:
- Read and share the Closing the gap – Ensuring there are enough qualified and supported teachers in sub-Saharan Africa advocacy brief
- Join us for an event on the 21st of July to call for a greater investment in teachers
- Share our messages, social media assets and video
- Sign up here to receive updates about the campaign.
From our members:
VVOB – education for development - Teacher and school leader development: call for a boost in investments